Saturday, December 8, 2012

Beetroot Poriyal




Beets - Much as I love the vibrant colour of this vegetable, I have never liked beets. And as one who does not give up easily on food, I always try it whenever it served and my conclusion was always the same - it tastes like mud. "And how often does she eat mud?" you might well ask, not ever really, but beets taste like earth, unlike potatoes and other root vegetables. Last year when we visited some friends they served a beet salad with goat's cheese and a light vinaigrette; I tried it, much to the surprise of all who know me and pronounced it a hit.
Recently my mum made this beet poriyal which I enjoyed just as much. To celebrate this culinary turning point in my life, let me share this dish which is a great accompaniment to rice and protein. Poriyal means a stir fry with spices and oil which is cooked until you get the desired texture. No water is added to this.

Skill Level: Easy
Serves: 4 - 6 
 
INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 medium sized beets peeled and cubed
  • 2 medium sized onions chopped fine
  • 1 green chili sliced (more if you prefer a spicier dish)
  • 2 T cooking oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 10 curry leaves


 METHOD: 
  1. Heat oil in a skillet
  2. Add cumin seeds and saute for a couple of seconds until fragrant, add onions and curry leaves, saute until transparent
  3. Add cubed (raw) beets, chili, turmeric and salt
  4. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally until it is cooked to the desired consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comment Here!