Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Anna Olson's Blueberry Buckle



I'm a lousy baker, I mean really. As one says, you can either be a great baker or a great cook. I fall into the later category. Baking requires science and precision, on the other hand, you can cook delicious dishes with adding a dash of this and that.

My blog partner, Sonia, and I will be going out to lunch at my favourite restaurant, Seoul House, located in Mississauga. My husband and I have been frequent customers to that restaurant since 2010, the time when we were newlyweds with no children. Fast forward, the restaurant owner and staff know us by heart and love our children to the bits. Besides serving great food, they are very attentive to our needs. Whenever we dine in that restaurant, they will try their best to give us a private booth so that I can nurse my baby.When my son, A, was a few months old, the waitress offered to take care of him so that my husband and I could eat in peace. Really, where can you find such a service? The last time we went there after baby E's doctor appointment, the kitchen staff and waitress packed us kimchi and Korean fish cake side dish to take home so that I would not have to worry feeding my husband and my son. They know that my husband loves their kimchi while my son is addicted to their fish cake banchan (side dish).

While baby E is sleeping, I had a chance to browse Anna Olson's recipes and decided to make this delicious blueberry buckle for the staff at Seoul House. I had all ingredients available right here at home. I substituted the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour as I did not have it. No credits to me...it's all to Anna Olson :) 

Skill Level: Easy
Serves: 6 to 8

INGREDIENTS:

Cake:
  • 1/2cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups blueberries (I use frozen)
Streussel Topping: 
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
METHOD: 

Cake:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until pale yellow and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat in
  3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with milk until incorporated. Scrape batter into cake pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle blueberries on top of batter.
Streussel Topping:
  1. In a small bowl, blend sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter with your fingers until crumbly and no large bits of butter are visible. Sprinkle on top of berries
  2. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comment Here!