Tuesday, November 25, 2014

BLACK PEPPER CHICKEN CURRY



I am blessed to have my parents visiting right now and love it when Ma cooks old favourites. My constant request is that she not deviate at all from my childhood memory of the dish; even the addition of cilantro where there is none alters the end result from what I remember. Yes, I know, I am a little wierd but who among us does not have a quirk or two or three ?
This is one of my favourite curries. It is fiery hot because of black pepper which I like a lot more than the heat from chili. This was made using a pressure cooker but can just as easily be made in a pot. For those of you that I still have not succeeded in convincing about a pressure cooker, I will keep on trying : ) 
Just a few ingredients and a delicious result. Please go to our facebook page Spice Divas and let us know what you think. Ma served this with white basmati rice and a delicious carrot salad (pictured below). 


Skill Level: Easy 

Serves: 5-6

INGREDIENTS: 
  • 8 chicken thighs (skinless, bone in)  
  • 1 large tomato chopped 
  • 2 medium white potatoes cut in half
  • 3 medium onions sliced
  • 1" piece of ginger chopped 
  • 10 curry leaves (available at most Indian & Chinese supermarkets)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp black pepper powder (use less if you prefer a milder curry)
  • 1 tsp salt


METHOD: 
  1. Wash and pat the chicken dry
  2. In a large bowl add all the ingredients to the chicken and mix well
  3. Allow chicken to marinate for 15 minutes 
  4. Put into a pressure cooker for three whistles (about 5 minutes)
  5. Put cut potatoes on the top, do not mix it in or it will overcook in the pressure cooker
  6. If not using a pressure cooker, add the chicken to a pot with a tight fitting lid and cook on high for 2-4 minutes. Add potatoes and mix in with the chicken. Stir, reduce the heat and cook for 20 -25 minutes
  7. The only liquid in this is from the tomato and the chicken. 
  8. Serve with rice and a salad. Ma made this colourful pomegranate and carrot salad which tastes every bit as good as it looks













No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comment Here!