Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cobb salad


Life sometimes interferes with the best of intentions and I find myself back at the blog after a fairly long interval. My deepest thanks to my blog partner (and her husband) who despite having had a baby last year, managed to keep on posting while raising their son and dealing with his food sensitivities. No excuses, I am back now. 
I spent the last several weeks in Portland, Oregon with my sister and her family. Several years ago my sister took me to a restaurant in downtown Portland where I had a Cobb salad that has since become my most favourite salad. Every time I visit Portland we have a Cobb salad date during the course of my trip and this year was no exception. 
Cobb salad is an American classic, said to date back to the 1930s when Robert Cobb owner of the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, put together leftovers to make the salad that bears his name. I've seen many variations of the Cobb Salad on menus over the years; I used corn in the one I made last night and have used roasted chicken breast when serving friends who do not eat bacon. Get creative and enjoy.
The picture above that is beautifully layered is from the restaurant, my more humble version is shown below.

Skill Level: Easy
Serves: 4 

INGREDIENTS:

Salad
  • 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce 
  • 1 ear of corn (shaved off the cob and sauteed with one tsp of olive oil, until slightly charred)
  • 8 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled
  • 1 avocado chopped
  • 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes chopped 
  •  1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Salad Dressing

  •  1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
METHOD:

1. Put all the ingredients of the dressing in a bowl and set aside
2. Assemble the salad ingredients (layered in a bowl, laid out on a plate or stacked as in the picture)
3. Drizzle dressing as required on the salad.

1 comment:

Post Your Comment Here!