Thursday, May 17, 2012

Greek Inspired Pork Souvlaki on Pita


Victoria Day is just a few sleeps away and it's about the time to fire up my BBQ grill! I decided to feature a Greek recipe which I think is a perfect meal for a weekend lunch or brunch.

I love Greek Food and feel fortunate to live in a city where ethnic food can be found easily in every street corner.I first tasted Greek food in 2003 when I was shopping for a dress with my blog partner. She suggested Greek cuisine for a quick lunch and I had a classic Greek entree: pork souvlaki with rice and potatoes. The burst of lemon and oregano give it a unique flavour. My food adventure has now expanded beyond food court franchise-style Greek fare. An acquaintance of mine introduced me to a restaurant called That's Greek Cuisine in Etobicoke about 3 years ago. It is now one of my favourite places for a plate of good Greek food. Their gyros, lamb chops and Saganaki Opa are must to order!

Long story short, this food adventure has also entered into my kitchen. Frequently, I see pork tenderloins on sale in weekly flyers and I certainly do not want to miss this great offer. Pork tenderloin is lean, moist, soft and does not require extensive cooking time. Hence, it is a good choice for pork souvlaki. Here is my version of Greek style pork souvlaki on pita bread!

Skill Level: Easy 
Serves:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 pieces of Pita bread, white or whole wheat
Pork Souvlaki:
  • 1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
  • 1 lemon (grate the skin and retain juice for marinate)
  • 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper

Tzatziki Sauce:
  • 1.5 cup plain or Greek yogurt 
  • 1/2 cucumber, shredded
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tbsp honey 
  • Black pepper, to taste
Toppings:
  • Iceberg lettuce, sliced thinly
  • Chopped olives
  • Cucumbers, sliced
  • Tomatoes, sliced
  • Red onions, sliced thinly
 METHOD: 
  1. Clean the pork tenderloin by removing the silver lining with a small knife. 
  2. Cut the tenderloin into bite sized and mix in all seaonings. Marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge
  3. Heat up BBQ grill for 325 degree Celcius
  4. Grill the pork tenderloin for 5 minutes, on each side or until meat is cooked thoroughly 
  5. You can brush the meat with olive oil to help prevent dryness
  6. To make the tzatziki sauce, mix in all ingredients and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes
  7. Warm the pita bread on BBQ grill for couple of seconds
  8. Serve the pita bread with tzatziki sauce, pork souvlaki and toppings

2 comments:

  1. canadian eh? Will you do foods based on the various religious festivals with the diversity of nationalities and religions in North America?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!
    Yes, we are! For sure, we will feature more recipes from around the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post Your Comment Here!